2022年3月5日 星期六

Translation of Chinese Poems (3)

Candi's English Translation 
of Chinese Poems


12. 金縷衣
      杜秋娘

Translated by Candi C. P. Liu (劉振蘋)

金縷衣
Gold-threaded Clothes


勸君莫惜金縷衣,勸君惜取少年時。
You'd better not cherish the gold-threaded clothes;
You'd better cherish your youth!

花開堪折直須折,莫待無花空折枝。
Pluck the flowers when they bloom,
Don’t wait till they’re all gone
and only bare boughs are left.



11. 宿建德江
孟浩然

Translated by Candi C. P. Liu (劉振蘋)

宿建德江

An Overnight Stay on Jiande River


移舟泊煙渚,日暮客愁新。
Our boat has been steered to a misty islet,
off which it moored.
As the day turns into night,
I begin to have a traveler's new sorrows.

野曠天低樹,江清月近人
With the fields so vast, 
the sky seems lower than the distant trees.
The river being crystal clear,
the moon in the water
seems rather close to me.



10. 鹿柴
王維
  Translated by Candi C. P. Liu (劉振蘋)

鹿柴*
Lu Chai*
空山不見人, 但聞人語響。
Nobody is seen 
in the vacant mountains,
but the sound of people talking
can be heard.

返景入深林, 復照青苔上。
The reflected sunlight 
enters the deep forest,
and shines again 
on the green moss.

*Lu Chai was a small place in Wang Chuan (輞川), 
Chang An (長安)


9. 回鄉偶書
賀知章

Translated by Candi C. P. Liu (劉振蘋)

回鄉偶書
Coming Home: A Casual Verse



少小離家老大回,鄉音無改鬢毛衰。
I left home when I was young;
now when I return, I am old.
My local accent has not changed,
But the hair on my temples 
has thinned and turned grey.

兒童相見不相識,笑問客從何處來。
    My childhood playmate sees me 
but can't recognize me,
and asks with a smile 
where I come from.